3. The effectiveness of stuttering techniques
In this episode, we'll talk about how you can make sure that the stuttering techniques that you teach are actually effective, which means that they are effective not only in the therapy room but in real life and long term for your clients.
In this episode you’ll hear and learn:
- Whether people who stutter need any techniques in the first place.
- Why the choice of the technique is important, but it's still just the 10% of the effectiveness.
- Why the other 90% of the effectiveness is the ability to actually use the techniques or the training speech, as I call it, in real life.
- A reminder of the speech therapy goals - take a listen to the previous episode.
- Why it's basically cheating to say that it's the client's responsibility to actually use the techniques in real life.
- Why it's so hard to use the techniques in real life and how you can truly understand your client.
- 7 practical activities you can incorporate in your therapy plan to make sure that the techniques that you teach actually become part of your clients' everyday lives.
As an action item for you, first of all, I invite you to take a look at the activities you currently have with your clients to make sure they use the techniques in real life. Can you enrich those activities?
And second, I invite you to use the techniques yourself and actually experience how it feels to be a person who stutters firsthand.